Decker & Rat Terrier Chat

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Decker & Rat Terrier Chat

We would like to welcome everyone to our forum, this is a place to come and share photographs, and share our experiences. Rat Terriers in general are a wonderful dog and the Decker Terrier takes that a step further as a larger, hardy family dog.

3 posters

Decker trials (pseudo-hunting!)

SixMileFarm
    SixMileFarm

Decker trials (pseudo-hunting!) Empty Decker trials (pseudo-hunting!)

Post  SixMileFarm Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:35 pm

I want to brag about my "citified" hunting terrier, Bluegrass Timber Cruiser. He may live in Oregon where all he really gets to hunt are mice and gophers, but he has the prey drive! He just passed his second Odor Recognition Test today so he can now compete in level II Nose Work as soon as he can capture that elusive Nose Work I title from the National Association of Canine Scent Work. We have tried twice now for that NW I title but it is very difficult to get all four elements perfect (interior, exterior, vehicle and container searches) on the same day - and both of our errors were handling mistakes by me anyway. And the elements are NOT cumulative - gotta get all four perfect in a single trial. We will get it next time (in October) and with this second ORT passed today, he can start on his NW II title immediately.

In addition, Timber ran his first lure course this week. He had never seen one before (nor had I) but he was instantly fixated on that furry brown thing and had no trouble understanding he was supposed to chase it. He couldn't even be distracted by the other dogs barking and people watching. He was mesmerized! I only let him run two times, because he is not in perfect shape and has Addison's Disease, but he was thrilled. We can't wait to go back and let him do a bit more next time. I think he may have found his favorite sport!

I thought it was interesting that he loved lure coursing for the same reason he hated flyball. He is only interested in "it" (lure, ball, toy, etc.) when it is running away. As soon as it stops (is killed?) he could care less. He goes from the full chase to who cares instandly when it stops moving. Now if I could just teach my chickens on the farm to just stand still, they would be safer. LOL.

Gotta LOVE this dog!

Karla
    Kim
    Kim

Decker trials (pseudo-hunting!) Empty Re: Decker trials (pseudo-hunting!)

Post  Kim Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:08 am

Karla,

Man that is so awesome!!! Thanks for sharing all that and- WAY TO GO!!! If you have pictures I so would LOVE To see that dog doing his thing!!! I believe the sight hound added in the 1970 or 1980's is the reason they excel at the lure...they LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!

Keep up the good work !

Kim

www.seegmillerdeckerterriers.com

SixMileFarm
    SixMileFarm

Decker trials (pseudo-hunting!) Empty photos of lure coursing if you wish to see them

Post  SixMileFarm Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:28 pm

Here are a few photos - be forewarned - it is really difficult to get good pictures of a small black dog running full speed across a very large green field.... ;-)

https://picasaweb.google.com/karlasanders899/TimberSFirstLureCoursing?authuser=0&feat=directlink
    SixMileFarm
    SixMileFarm

Decker trials (pseudo-hunting!) Empty and this is what Canine Scent Work looks like in case you haven't seen it.

Post  SixMileFarm Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:33 pm

Christina
    Christina
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Christina Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:57 pm

Thanks for sharing Karla.
    Kim
    Kim

Post  Kim Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:36 pm

Karla,

That is awesome!!!! Thanks so much for sharing that, these dogs were not bred for that so this shows the pure versatility that they exhibit and they just excel in all things...so long as they get praise from the owners!!!

Kim
    http://www.seegmillerdeckerterriers.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:05 am