Decker & Rat Terrier Chat

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Decker & Rat Terrier Chat

We would like to welcome everyone to our forum, this is a place to come and share photographs, and share our experiences. Rat Terriers in general are a wonderful dog and the Decker Terrier takes that a step further as a larger, hardy family dog.

2 posters

All About Showing

JudyLynn

All About Showing Empty Having Fun

Post  JudyLynn Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:27 pm

Hello,

I show Decker Rat Terriers in UKC Conformation events in Ohio and surrounding states. At this time, I have 2 champions working on grand champion titles and 2 working toward their champion titles. They are received favorably by other breed competitors and totally hated by miniature and standard rat terrier handlers/breeders. When I win against these people I hear about it all show weekend (negatively). I have had judges tell me Decker's should not show against other rat terriers and should be their own breed. I have had judges tell me in the ring that there is no way I am going to place. I have had judges tel me I have outstanding dogs. The judges cannot deny is that my Deckers meet the rat terrier standard, have beautiful coats, fun dispositions, and at the end of the day can catch rats (ground hogs and rabbits...) as they were intended to do. We just smile and go on.

I will not deny that my Deckers are the elephants in the ring with the other rat terriers. What could hurt us is the new 9" rule that states ground terriers cannot be have a girth larger than 9". I don't know who came up with that rule, and I do have Deckers that are larger than 9". It would be great if other owners would start showing their Deckers in conformation events.. I would love to have Decker competition. We are getting ready to show in AKC conformation matches and I have been told AKC likes the larger rat terriers. My husband also shows in agility, obedience and barn hunt events with great success with our dogs. Find a dog club that offers training classes. Fees vary - go to the UKC Events site, and Barn Hunt sites to see about schedules and fees. I love showing the Deckers because they are a beautiful , intelligent breed that is also long-lived. Last year our oldest Decker Bam Bam passed away in his sleep at the age of 23. They are definitely a breed worth promoting!!

Judy
    OregonDecker

All About Showing Empty All About Showing

Post  OregonDecker Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:52 pm

Howdy All,

OregonDecker here. Like you, I'm in love with my Decker. Juice is an absolute stud. He wears tutus, kills furries, claims laps and childrens' beds, and is beautiful. Seventy-five percent Seegmiller lines, so thumbs up Kim et al. We love him.

Does anyone have information about showing these excellent dogs? Schedules? Tips? Advice? Fees info? Organizations? Let's make this topic all about continuing to improve the breed and the public's awareness of it.

Smile O.D.

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 7:48 pm